Thursday, July 3, 2014

Zen. Olivia 7/3

      So. I just read one of the most inspirational and thought-provoking books of my entire life, and maybe of anyone's life ever in the history of the world. Zen in the Martial Arts, by Joe Hyams. It is an amazing book, full of important messages and priceless tidbits of advice, on how to better yourself as a martial artist. But the book is not just about the Martial Arts. Its also how to transfer your martial arts learning to your everyday life. I was so amazed by this book, that I went around on the internet to ind out what others had to say about it. Lo and behold, I found this entry in Wikipedia (Under Joe Hyams):
     
 "His 1979 book Zen in the Martial Arts was built on his many years of studying martial arts with such figures as Bong Soo HanBruce Lee, and Ed Parker. He first became involved in the martial arts during his wartime service in the US Army, when he was regularly beaten up for being Jewish. After the war he became a student of kenpo karate and studiedJeet Kune Do with Bruce Lee, as well as becoming proficient in eight other martial arts disciplines. [3] Melissa Hyams said the slim book "isn't really about martial arts. It's about life and philosophy, and how to turn a negative into a positive, how to defuse a situation by the way you handle it. That's what he'll most be remembered for." [4]"

I found that this passage beautifully describes the book, and leaves me with very little writing left to do. However, I am still digesting the book in my mind, and haven't fully processed everything it has to say. I think I will read it again, in order to better understand it.  Until next time, Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment