Sunday, February 9, 2014

Olivia Eburne Introductory Blog

Hello, and Welcome to my blog. My name is Olivia Eburne, and I am the controller and author of these paragraphs.
These excerpts from my life will help me catalogue my journey through the Mastery Program, a yearlong test in which I train every day, week in and week out, in order to both learn about myself and progress in the martial arts.  I am training with a bunch of other people, some going for their black belts and some doing the program just to challenge themselves. It should be really fun and exciting and hard work, and I can't wait to see how far we will have come by the end of the year.
     During this Mastery Program  I hope to learn perseverance, flexibility in my mind and way of thinking, and I also hope to learn more about me as a person and who I am. Even though I am only in middle school, and will most likely change very much, I feel that understanding myself now will help me learn and understand myself later on in life, when there is a lot more pressure on me. And when  I have to make decisions that will affect my future, I hope that what I learn now will help me.
    I have been training in martial arts since I was six. I started out at Dragon Phoenix Martial Arts, which then changed its name to Revolution Martial Fitness. I began karate after attending a friend's birthday party at Dragon Phoenix. I found it interesting and so my mom signed me up, and now here I am.
   One of the best things I feel martial arts has done for me is to calm me down and teach me self control. I am very ADHD, and have a seriously difficult time focusing my attention on things that don't interest me for long periods of time. Martial arts has taught me how to calm down and get control of myself so that I can finish whatever I have started without going, "Look, a cat, let's pet it! Yes, aren't you a beautiful creature!"

1 comment:

  1. Great first post Olivia! I look forward to hearing how you have learned from this journey. As someone with ADD I can also relate to it being difficult to focus on things. However I believe there is also a lot of benefits to the way my mind works and would not trade that for the....hey look! its snowing!

    ReplyDelete