Sunday, February 23, 2014

The big picture. Chelsea H.

At thursday's mastery program class sensei Paul spoke of the potential impact that each one of us have to make by doing this year long endeavor if we really stepped it up and pushed ourselves. I agree that the program is very unique, challenging and influential to ourselves and observers but ever since the meeting I have really been questioning my effort and how I can push harder. Right now I consider myself indecisive on the matter but there have been some insights! Over the past month I have been thinking of how slow my physical progress has been and trying to figure out what is going on. One place I looked was my diet, yikes, I am starting to realize that my irregular eating patterns and that most of my ingredients come from canned sources mean I am most likely malnourished. I have a reliance on caffeine and get headaches if I do not get around 160mg a day, more than half the time this caffeine is obtained through drinking diet soda. I know I am only drinking 50-70 oz of water per day which isnt too bad but I think more would not hurt. One might say, whoa, why is she putting this all out there? Because, up until I really looked at my all this I was convinced that I was doing pretty well, that because my sodas are diet soda and because most of the dishes I cook have a good protein veggie mix that I was being healthy. I was mistaken and am now more educated and motivated to improve my life. I plan on taking more time at the grocer to pick out fresh ingredients and look forward to experimenting and learning to cook fresh stuff. I want to try to wean my caffeine intake to around 50mg a day and obtain it from teas or coffee instead of soda. This is going to be difficult but I know it will make such a big difference in my health as well as my husbands. On a different note, I started writing the note to mend my broken relationship but am finding difficulty in making a typed letter convey how sincere I really am, I plan on asking a friend to help me out. My favorite act of kindness this week was helping a friend carry a box. My favorite act of kindness done to me was a friend being overly welcoming as I explored a new social situation.

Chelsea Hughes

1 comment:

  1. Looking at any area of our life, being really honest and asking how we can improve is a difficult and noble task. Changing your diet is one of the more difficult (and, I've found, sensitive and controversial!) areas. Start small. Your idea to reduce your soda intake, buy more fresh ingredients and learn to cook new dishes is an excellent way to begin. Have fun with it and be gentle with yourself in the process. Wean yourself off of caffeine slowly! I went cold turkey off of a big caffeine habit several years ago and it was a nightmare! It made me realize how much of a drug caffeine really is. Now I use it in moderation or for a specific purpose.

    Thank you for your help. It was so nice to spend time with you yesterday in one of my favorite places :)

    ReplyDelete