Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Jason Mai 2/18/14

Jason Mai
2/18/14


     Wrestling is finally over! Yes! I can finally relax and focus on my script to screen class and focus more on the mastery program. Last few days of wrestling was pretty relaxing because I didn't end up going to sectionals, Coach chase decided it would be a better idea to put in another 132 who had a hurt shoulder this whole season, and had just healed up. Well he became a sectional champ so I suppose it was a good call. Once wrestling was done I was so relieved. Such a feeling. It isn't that I disliked the experience, I actually loved the experience but it had to end haha, everyone needs a break. That is why I won't be back at the dojo until the first of March, plus my parents are cheap so what can you do? I further mended a relationship Monday and this person that I haven't really sat down and talk to in a while had changed a lot, we both had. Noticing this was very odd and we talked for hours about that and much more.

     I used to talk to this girl back in elementary school and middle school. We became great friends and at the time I had a little crush on her. I'm not going to go into too much detail in this post because it is personal. Anyway as time went on, our friendship became to deteriorate and we didn't talk as much. She started hanging around with the wrong crowd, and got into bad situations. I wasn't a very good friend to her when all this turmoil started to unfold. I judged her, shunned her for her decisions instead of helping her, and trying to understand what she was going through. That drove us apart even more. We ended hating each other and I stopped talking to her completely. The things she did I never agreed with, I never approved of, but it was her life, and I shouldn't of bullied her (basically). We ended up not talking to each other for a couple years, I would avoid her, just so it didn't bring up old memories. I only really started to mend our relationship this year. My sophomore year, and it wasn't because of the Mastery Program, because I started to mend our relationship before I started the Mastery Program, in my late freshman year. However when I realized what I was doing I thought, "This is what I need to do for the Mastery Program!." So it started when she was in my English class, I couldn't avoid her anymore, and I was mature enough to realize I was being immature for trying to avoid her. That was the first time I really got to see what she was now. It was weird, but I began to accept her. She was unique, and I respected her for standing for what she believed in so strongly. To paint a picture shes a classic hippy girl, or "Child of the earth" as she likes to be called. She wears thrift shop clothes, and rings, 2 watches that both don't work, and a toe ring. Yeah...she's one hell of a character all right. We began to talk a lot more because we were in the same classes, English and wellness. We started with small talk but I started seeing her more, and with time we became more comfortable with who were are now, and not what we were before.

     2 days ago it was her birthday and I texted her happy birthday and "you want to hang out?" She was busy that day so she hit me up on Monday, called me and asked if I wanted to hang out. I said yes, we met at the park and walked around for a while. Started with small talk, but not long after we talked about everything. We were getting to know our new selves, through the other person. It was... nice. "If you had to lose one sense, what would it be?" "Uhhh.....not sure, feel?" "Whaaat but you would never be able to feel a cat again" "Yeah true...you always make me change my mind". Because we knew each other for so long, we talked about how people have changed, and how we ourselves have changed drastically. We gossiped about how so many people we once knew became someone else, and took a path we never thought. Then I commented, "You have changed a lot too" She wasn't any more..."perfect" but I accepted her, I didn't know why, but she said to me "You have too, you have become more comfortable with yourself and others" she was right, sometimes it takes others to see the change in yourself. I was telling her how, we don't notice chance in people we are close to, because we are with them every second of their lives, we see them change, but so slow that when they have made such a drastic change, it seems like nothing at all. We talked for hours, we walked around town, stopped to get pizza. I remember one moment we stopped to just watch the sun go down, it was serene. I could never share a moment like that with any of my guy friends. Shes so open to the world, and her view of the world was the same as mine. Yet I could never express that with anyone else but her. About people, family, friends, life.

     I almost felt like I didn't mend the relationship but we mended it, and that us growing up, and maturing is what really mended the relationship. The person I once knew 5 years ago isn't the one I talked to that day, and hopefully it's the same with her.

By far the most cheesiest stuff I've ever written, yikes. I should punch a hole in the wall to regain manliness.

4 comments:

  1. I read it as less cheesy, and more deep. Also, I recommend a plaster wall. It hurts your knuckles less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story about mending a relationship. This is hard work - the mending and the sharing - that can take us out of our comfort zone and I applaud you for doing it. We look forward to seeing you back at the dojo! The students have been asking about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Jason! In many instances I find it's almost more difficult getting to the moment of dealing with the situation after reflecting on the process from beginning to end. Glad to hear you'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better to be cheesy than to pretend to be stoic and emotionless, even if you have to punch a wall. I don't see it as cheesy at all. It takes guts to go out on a limb with a story like that.

    ReplyDelete