Monday, February 24, 2014

My overlong train of thought. Owen Mahoney


     Over the past week I have been think about my last blogpost, and I wanted to add some thoughts to what I said before. 

I think that a black belt is a representation of mastery. I mean, thats what this is all about, right? The Mastery Program, based off of the The Ultimate Black Belt Test, I think that this is all about being superlative and being the best you can be. As sensei says, “You don’t get a black belt and then start acting like one”, and I don’t intend to. In my mind, a black belt is not just a measure of proficiency, but a symbol of experience. I can’t let myself come close to being a black belt who doesn’t deserve one, I just can’t let that happen. I don’t want to take this opportunity for granted, but I think that, simply put, I don’t have enough experience.
      There are so many things that a black belt should and could have to do that I have not done yet. And I feel like I can not do those things because I don’t want to just be a black belt, I want to raise the roof, to set the bar. A black belt could mean so much more than what it does today. What if to receive a black belt had to have anger management training, what if to earn a black belt you had to have initiated community service projects, and what if you had to have carried out fundraising projects. Today to an average person thinks of a journey to black belt as a year or two of a modest amount of work. So why cant that be proven wrong. I suppose that this is the thinking that got the UBBT started, but this is my reasoning for not taking this opportunity to earn a black belt. 
       This still sort of leaves the question, why am I going through the test if I am not going to get a black belt? I think that in my I didn't go into enough detail. There are several reasons that I still want to go through with the test.
        I could give several reasons for why I'm doing this test. I like to challenge myself and to work to improve, and this test is the perfect way to do this. This test allows a way to work and develop your strengths in a very personalized way. It allows me challenge myself In a way that holds me accountable.
         I could also say that I am a bit of a glory-hog, and I want to make a name as one of the first people to take the test.  Maybe thats a bit unfair but in all honesty, that is large reason, I want to be one of the first before this changes too much. It sounds none to flattering on my part, but I want to be an old timer.
        My main reason though, is the reason that I do martial arts in the first place. Its because I like it. I really, really, really love martial arts. I'm not really a belt chaser. The reason I assist classes/train for four and half hours four days a week is that this is my passion, this is something I want to spend my life doing. Basically, I'm not training for the black belt, I'm training for the training.
     So I suppose my main reason for participating in this test is that I just love martial arts and that I want to be more deeply involved with the martial arts. 
     Which I think is as good a reason as any.

No comments:

Post a Comment