Sunday, May 4, 2014

Self doubt, self talk. Chelsea H.

Some of my big flaws that I have to be mindful to catch and avoid are self doubt and negative self talk. Sometimes as I train I catch myself thinking negative self talk (that kick was terrible, you are weak because you can't do as many pushups, etc...) I do my best not to believe my thoughts and self correct them in a positive manner. Although I find it really important to look at my training and exercise routines closely and seek improvement I find it equally important to look back at where I started and how much I have accomplished.

I still have not heard back from my old college roommate who I tried to make amends with. I feel maybe the address was incorrect. I will talk with Sensei Paul to see if I need to reach out to someone else.

After helping a fellow student this afternoon practice her purple belt requirements I felt downtrodden as some of the material i did not realize at the time I was teaching her incorrectly. Luckily Sensei Paul was there and able to clarify my mistakes. I worry that in my practicing with her I have mixed her up on those techniques. My self talk got the best of me as I bashed myself for forgetting material that I showed knowledge in for my current rank a year ago. As a result of today I decided that this week I am going to make a list of every technique I know along with each move verifying that they are correct with higher rank students and use it as a guide for more structured practice.

I have started reading "Savor" this week and will update as I finish.

My favorite act of kindness this week: helping a friend practice
My favorite act of kindness I received: my husband taking the day off work to take care of me when I got my tooth pulled Friday.

Chelsea H.

No comments:

Post a Comment