Saturday, April 5, 2014

Goals

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal."
                   -Albert Pike


This is one of my favorite quotes. Although I have admired these words of wisdom for a while, it was not until recently that I realized that I needed to use them. For this test, one of my personal goals was to make as much money as I could (through babysitting, mowing lawns, etc.) so that I would be able to go to camp for 7 weeks next summer. I was surprised how easy it was to go without any extra spending money throughout the year. Before this test, when I made money, I would keep it for myself and spend it on something. Anything. I was never great at that "savings" thing. But this time I was determined to go to camp full session, and I took on all the jobs that I could get and put my allowance straight into the "Camp Fund". It was so easy to go without spending money! It made me wonder what I had been doing all those years. One year, and I have more than $700 in my fund. I was really proud of myself for learning how to save money. Then I realized two things that made me less sure of myself. #1: that I wanted to be able to go to the next Alabama Buildvention. #2: that I wanted to go on my church service project to New Mexico next year. These are both things that I would need money for. Things that I would need money that came from ME, not my parents. I considered dipping into my camp fund a little bit. But I would need more money than just a dip. That is when I decided that my Camp Fund needed to become my Service Fund. Because going to camp is something that I can do for myself, but going to New Mexico and Alabama is something that I can do for other people. Because it is easy for me to go without allowance, but it is really hard for others to go without shelter or food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment