Sunday, March 23, 2014

And here is my second personal goal post. 3/8-15

            So now I have decided to talk about my second personal goal. I have decided that I wish to compete in a tournament with my fan form. For those of you that don’t know, Sensei very nicely taught me a fan form last year. I spent quite a while working on it and learning it, and I thought that a tournament would be the perfect place to display my new talent. Then I thought that maybe I could make it one of my personal goals to compete with it in a tournament, because I had been learning it mostly while the Mastery program had been going on. I have done tournaments in the past, and I usually compete in the weapon forms category, the forms category, and the sparring category. Those are the categories that I have the most experience in, the most knowledge about, and that I feel the most confident in. Previously, I had successfully used my kama form to compete. So I was nervous about using this new form to compete—there is a part where you flip the fan at the end, and I was sketchy at best with that part. When I do something, I really like to be prepared. I don’t like to take any chance that I might mess something up.  But when I went to talk to Sensei about it, he began to talk about me not just competing in those three categories, but all the other ones as well. I don’t really want to do this, because I feel that it is too much, and really my goal was only to compete with the fan form, not compete in all these other categories that I don’t really have experience in. But Sensei was adamant about it. He thinks that it would be good to push myself outside of my comfort zone. Though I know that he is right, it doesn’t make me feel any more certain about it. And if I had to step outside my comfort zone, I would prefer to do it by myself, or with people I know. In other words, I would rather be with people I’m comfortable with when I step outside my comfort zone. And people I’m comfortable with do not include random people all around the tournament. If anyone has ideas of how I could do that without competing in other categories, could you please comment  them or tell me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how much help I can be to you, as I have always been the type to explode out of my comfort zone for no other reason but to show it who's boss, but maybe, (again, biased opinion), the point is to step out of your comfort zone in that you d something completely new, not just a new form in the same category. I know from experience how hard that form is, but maybe you are supposed to push the boundaries of what you think you are capable of.

    ReplyDelete